Monday, October 5, 2009

Cleveland Cavaliers afternoon news roundup: Eastern Conference rivals feeling good about things, too

As training camps get into full swing around the NBA, the Cleveland Cavaliers are not the only Eastern Conference team exuding optimism.

So are their top two Eastern Conference rivals, the 2008 NBA champion Boston Celtics and the defending conference champion Orlando Magic.

As the Cavaliers did at the University of Akron, the Celtics scrimmaged on Saturday, too - although it was cut short by dampness on the court surface.

james-garnett.jpg

The Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James (left) trying to get a shot off over the Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett


Wrote Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, referring to the knee injury that Kevin Garnett is trying to bounce back from:

Rasheed Wallace stood out in the scrimmage, hitting some early treys. Fellow bench brother Eddie House canned a couple of bombs late to serve public notice that the Celtic bench will be very interesting this year.

Tony Allen (right ankle rehab) participated and showed no ill effects after sitting out Friday’s session.

Kevin Garnett again looked fine.

“Actually better than I expected,” Garnett said when asked to take stock of his week. “I anticipated it to be a lot more sore. I had my days, and sitting and talking to other guys, they were just as sore as I was, so I kind of felt at home. To be honest with everybody here, I’m not even thinking about the injury when I’m playing. I do all my stuff that I’m supposed to do. I don’t play around with my workouts. Even when I’m in my room, I do the calisthenics that I’m supposed to do. I get my proper treatment. It’s all prevention.”

In Florida: The optimism is contagious among the East's big three teams. Brian Schmitz and Josh Robbins write about the Magic for the Orlando Sentinel:

Magic PG Jason Williams is the only player on the roster who has an NBA championship ring, having won a ring with the Miami Heat in 2006.

J-Will says this Magic team has more potential than his old Heat club — and Miami had Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade.

"I think we have more talent here than when we won the championship in 2006," Williams said. "I think 1 through 15, there's more talent."

And.....

Magic General Manager Otis Smith says his club is starting to build a championship culture.

"I think we're becoming that," he said. "How you really test that is when guys walk in your door, how they feel. We're not the Patriots, we're not the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Celtics. But I think we're building a foundation to become an organization like those teams for years to come. That's what you have to do. That's kind of the legacy of that. What do you leave behind? What you leave behind is more of a culture of greatness as opposed to a culture of playing for right now. That's what we strive for."

Check it: Plain Dealer Cavaliers coverage includes beat writer Brian Windhorst's report on Saturday's Wine and Gold Scrimmage at the University of Akron; his "Hey, Brian;" his report on Delonte West's Saturday practice; a video by David I. Andersen of LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal having fun at practice; "Terry Pluto's Scribbles."

J.J. back strong: Second-year power forward J.J. Hickson has been impressive after missing the last several weeks of last season with a back injury. Writes Bob Finnan for the News Herald and Lorain Morning Journal, referring to Cavaliers coach Mike Brown:

Brown said Hickson can jump higher than "almost" everyone on the team. He was referring to James. "I'm looking forward to how (Hickson) turns out this year," Brown said

source:
Starting Blocks

No comments:

Post a Comment